SURVIVING BOKATOR is one of the must-watch documentaries of the year.... Bochsler gracefully captures the students as they come of age, and Grandmaster Sean Kim SAN entrusts them with the responsibility of reviving Cambodia’s martial art of Bokator
The film ... tells a powerful story with relevance and applicable lessons for every culture. And it heralds the presence of a promising new feature film talent ... who has put in a stunning first effort.
The movie is an eye-opening look at a genocide survivor who not only has to deal with his own past, but also the pushback he gets from his community in his mission to revive a part of the culture.
A definite must-see if you like history, jealousy, fierce females, and the real Cambodia.
Such a compelling and nicely crafted film.
This documentary is a unique piece that highlights a valuable part of Khmer cultural heritage, and spotlights hope for its future.
This film can contribute to community healing by opening lines of dialogue between generations, a socially valuable outcome.
It speaks to the generational divide between pre- and post-Khmer Rouge people that is felt in our community today. We would honestly be honored and privileged to have that film screened for the museum.
This is our culture, our tradition, and documenting its revival in modern time is of true value to us, the Cambodian society.
- AFF2018: Surviving Bokator(4.5/5)– Carl Broughton, The Film Era, November 4, 2018
- At 73, He’s Fighting to Revive the Martial Art You’ve Never Heard of – OZY, January 2019
- Documentary Film Shows Cambodian Female Martial Artist Tharoth Sam – VOA Khmer, November 2018
- Documentary Filmmaker Focuses on Cambodia’s Martial Art – VOA Khmer, November 2018
- Tharoth Sam excited to move Cambodia forward by Surviving Bokator – MMA Crossfire, November 2018
Cinéma : Surviving Bokator en tournée US / Cinema: Surviving Bokator on US tour – CambodgeMag, November 2018
- Le documentaire «Surviving Bokator» en première canadienne à Hamilton – L’heure de pointe Toronto, Radio-Canada (radio), November 2018
- Surviving Bokator’s Mark Bochsler opens up on ‘Changing the hearts and minds’ of Cambodia – MMA Crossfire, November 2018
Hamilton’s Mark Bochsler makes impressive debut with Surviving Bokator – The Hamilton Spectator, November 2018
- Hamilton Film Fest – View Magazine, November 2018
- Philadelphia Asian American Film Fest: What you need to see – Philadelphia Inquirer/Philadelphia Daily News/philly.com, November 2018
Documentary Film on Cambodian Martial Art ‘Bokator’ to Screen in Philadelphia – VOA Khmer, November 2018
- Austin Film Festival Closing Day Features Movies Galore – Downtown Austin Patch, November 2018
- Surviving Bokator premieres at Austin Film Festival – Good Day Austin, Fox 7 Austin, October 2018
- 2018 Austin Film Festival: 5 Documentaries to See – Shuffle Online, October 2018
- Austin Film Festival Unveils Complete Lineup, including ‘Widows’ and ‘Ben is Back’ – The Hollywood Reporter, September 2018
- Austin Film Festival Snags Widows; High profile and local features fill out the schedule – The Austin Chronicle, September 2018
- The lady is a Bokator Fighter – Khmer Times, June 2018
- Ancient martial art that spawned Muay Thai undergoes a rebirth in Cambodia thanks to a tireless grandmaster – South China Morning Post, April 2018
- Mark Bochsler and San Kimsean of ‘Surviving Bokator’ – AsiaLIFE, April 2018
- «Surviving Bokator»: au Cambodge, un documentaire sur un art martial oublié/”Surviving Bokator”: in Cambodia, a documentary about a forgotten martial art – Radio France Internationale, April 2018
- Bokator on SEA Games list – Khmer Times, April 2018
- STOP10: ‘Surviving Bokator’ by Mark Bochsler – SINdie (Singapore), March 2018
- ‘Surviving Bokator’ tells an inspirational tale – but avoids a Hollywood happy ending – Phnom Penh Post, March 2018
- Bokator documentary garners NOCC support – Khmer Times, March 2018
- Canadian couple’s bokator documentary set for Phnom Penh premiere – Phnom Penh Post, March 2018
- Surviving Bokator: How an Ancient Martial Art is Reviving a Nation – Canadian Council for Southeast Asian Studies Newsletter, Fall 2017
- Nearly wiped out by genocide, Long Beach resident helps revive Cambodian martial art – Long Beach Press-Telegram, September 2017
- Cambodia Town Film Festival to showcase Cambodian history with ‘Surviving Bokator’ – Long Beach Post, September 2017