SURVIVING BOKATOR is one of the must-watch documentaries of the year.... Bochsler gracefully captures the students as they come of age, and Grandmaster Sean Kim SAN entrusts them with the responsibility of reviving Cambodia’s martial art of Bokator
The film ... tells a powerful story with relevance and applicable lessons for every culture. And it heralds the presence of a promising new feature film talent ... who has put in a stunning first effort.
The movie is an eye-opening look at a genocide survivor who not only has to deal with his own past, but also the pushback he gets from his community in his mission to revive a part of the culture.
A definite must-see if you like history, jealousy, fierce females, and the real Cambodia.
Such a compelling and nicely crafted film.
This documentary is a unique piece that highlights a valuable part of Khmer cultural heritage, and spotlights hope for its future.
This film can contribute to community healing by opening lines of dialogue between generations, a socially valuable outcome.
It speaks to the generational divide between pre- and post-Khmer Rouge people that is felt in our community today. We would honestly be honored and privileged to have that film screened for the museum.
This is our culture, our tradition, and documenting its revival in modern time is of true value to us, the Cambodian society.
- AFF2018: Surviving Bokator (4.5/5)– Carl Broughton, The Film Era
- In Conversation with filmmaker Mark Bochsler & Bokator grandmaster Sean Kim San
- “Surviving Bokator” gets recognition at Milano Int’l FICTS Festival – Khmer Times
- ‘Surviving Bokator’ picks up honourary mention award at Milano International FICTS Festival
– MMA Crossfire
- Documentary made available online to help Bokator clubs survive – Khmer Times
- Surviving Bokator’s Eng Sou Mala wins medals at South East Asian Games
- Surviving Bokator hosts its first Bokator training session in Germany – Berlin Kali School
- Surviving Bokator premieres in Berlin’s arthouse Cinema Babylon –
- The Battle of Preserve Cambodia’s Martial Arts Heritage – Black Belt Magazine
- IN PICTURES: Star of ‘Surviving Bokator’ brings the martial art to life
– Long Beach Post
- Sam Tharoth receives award at Surviving Bokator screening at Khmer Arts Academy
- At 73, He’s Fighting to Revive the Martial Art You’ve Never Heard of – OZY
- Documentary Film Shows Cambodian Female Martial Artist Tharoth Sam – VOA Khmer
- Documentary Filmmaker Focuses on Cambodia’s Martial Art – VOA Khmer
- Tharoth Sam excited to move Cambodia forward by Surviving Bokator – MMA Crossfire
- Cinéma : Surviving Bokator en tournée US / Cinema: Surviving Bokator on US tour – CambodgeMag
- Le documentaire «Surviving Bokator» en première canadienne à Hamilton – L’heure de pointe Toronto, Radio-Canada (radio)
- Surviving Bokator’s Mark Bochsler opens up on ‘Changing the hearts and minds’ of Cambodia – MMA Crossfire
- Hamilton’s Mark Bochsler makes impressive debut with Surviving Bokator – The Hamilton Spectator
- Hamilton Film Fest – View Magazine
- Philadelphia Asian American Film Fest: What you need to see – Philadelphia Inquirer/Philadelphia Daily News/philly.com
- Documentary Film on Cambodian Martial Art ‘Bokator’ to Screen in Philadelphia – VOA Khmer
- Austin Film Festival Closing Day Features Movies Galore – Downtown Austin Patch
- Surviving Bokator premieres at Austin Film Festival – Good Day Austin, Fox 7 Austin
- 2018 Austin Film Festival: 5 Documentaries to See – Shuffle Online
- Austin Film Festival Unveils Complete Lineup, including ‘Widows’ and ‘Ben is Back’ – The Hollywood Reporter
- Austin Film Festival Snags Widows; High profile and local features fill out the schedule – The Austin Chronicle
- The lady is a Bokator Fighter – Khmer Times
- Ancient martial art that spawned Muay Thai undergoes a rebirth in Cambodia thanks to a tireless grandmaster – South China Morning Post
- Mark Bochsler and San Kimsean of ‘Surviving Bokator’ – AsiaLIFE
- «Surviving Bokator»: au Cambodge, un documentaire sur un art martial oublié/”Surviving Bokator”: in Cambodia, a documentary about a forgotten martial art – Radio France Internationale
- Bokator on SEA Games list – Khmer Times
- STOP10: ‘Surviving Bokator’ by Mark Bochsler – SINdie (Singapore)
- ‘Surviving Bokator’ tells an inspirational tale – but avoids a Hollywood happy ending – Phnom Penh Post
- Bokator documentary garners NOCC support – Khmer Times
- Canadian couple’s bokator documentary set for Phnom Penh premiere – Phnom Penh Post
- Surviving Bokator: How an Ancient Martial Art is Reviving a Nation – Canadian Council for Southeast Asian Studies Newsletter
- Nearly wiped out by genocide, Long Beach resident helps revive Cambodian martial art – Long Beach Press-Telegram
- Cambodia Town Film Festival to showcase Cambodian history with ‘Surviving Bokator’ – Long Beach Post